Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Only God Can Change Stubborn People

I was looking over the notes from my homecoming talk and remembered that as I gave my talk I said, "Only God can change stubborn people", referring to how I had been changed on my mission. It was definitely inspired of the spirit because it hit me really hard. I am stubborn and just any person doesn't have any ability to change me, but God through His kindness, mercy and unbelievable patience can.

When Lehi and his family are traveling to the promised land, there is a time when Lamen and Lemuel are very feisty and decide that they no longer want Nephi to be their leader. They bind him with cords and take control of the ship. Lehi and Sariah (the parents), Nephi's wife and children, and many others try to persuade Lamen and Lemuel to release Nephi with no success. Finally, storms come resulting in heavy winds and waves described as being "a great and terrible tempest" that pushed them back in their journey. These storms last for 4 days when they became so bad that they "were about to be swallowed up in the depths of the sea". After fearing that their lives were in danger, Lamen and Lemuel realized that they needed to repent and did so. Nephi was released from bondage and the storms ceased.

The scripture that I love is 1 Nephi 18:20, which says;
"And there was nothing save it were the power of God, which threatened them with destruction, could soften their hearts; wherefore, when they saw that they were about to be swallowed up in the depths of the sea they repented of the things which they had done..."
I feel that the Lord has been calling me to repentance lately. I have been reminded to take time to read and apply the scriptures in my life, to pray with REAL INTENT and not use vain (worthless) repetitions, to arrive on time to church and worthily partake of the sacrament. These are a few of the ways I have been coaxed by the Lord to repent and come closer to Him. As I have been improving myself in these ways I can honestly say I have been able to feel the love of Jesus Christ more fully in my day. I have more love for those around me and I am less irritated by the annoyances of daily life. I have been able to better understand Heavenly Father's plan for me and ACCEPT it, even if it isn't what I want for myself at the time. I have seen innumerable blessings and I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that compels me to humble myself so He can bless me in the ways He desires. I can imagine Him saying, "Please just do these things so I can bless you as I want to and as you deserve". I know Heavenly Father lives and loves each of us! I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and He is striving to bring us closer to Him everyday. He wants us to be happy and enjoy life by making choices that will allow the spirit to be with and lead us to the person we want to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment