Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Food Storage

How important is food storage?
As a single student, I don't go out of my way to create an extra supply of food. It just doesn't seem practical to me at this time in my life. As I read about Christ's visit to the America's, my opinion was slightly altered. The time was one of wickedness, corruption, stealing, lying, murdering, fornications, and all kinds of serious evils. There were two opposing groups, the righteous and the Gadianton Robbers (wicked). The righteous had been led by God in all things. They were not perfect or prevented from experiencing tragedy or sorrow, but they put their trust in the Lord and He helped them through their trials. The Gadianton Robbers lived in the wilderness and were a vile and rude people.
As the time of Christ's visitation drew nearer, there was a shortage of food. 3 Nephi 4:4 says that the righteous had "provisions"" that they had "reserved for themselves". The only source of food for the Gadianton Robbers was from the storage of the righteous. The scriptures say that these Robbers would fight against the righteous to obtain food.
I look to this story as a shadow of things to come. We need to be prepared for famines and times of food shortage because those that don't have any food will do whatever it takes to stay alive.
How important is food storage?

No comments:

Post a Comment