Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Being a Light in Perilous Times


As I was reading the story of Mormon, I was very impressed with his amazing example. I feel that I was able to relate with it more closely this time for two reasons. The first is that Mormon was 24 years old when he began his record and I am also 24. The second reason is because of the economic crisis we are experiencing and the repercussions we assume we'll face in the upcoming years.
When describing his life, Mormon says that "a continual scene of wickedness and abominations has been before mine eyes ever since I have been sufficient to behold the of man." From this statement, I understand that Mormon has had a tough life. He grew up in a world of chaos and contention. I believe that many of the people in the world today are living in a lifestyle that is not ideal. Many people are suffering or experiencing catastrophe, famine, or hard situations at this time. We too may be living in a less privileged society sooner than we know. I look to Mormon as an example because despite his tough childhood, he became a great leader church. He didn't follow the trend but was hopeful that others would learn of God and find happiness in life. He says, "wo is me because of their wickedness; for my heart has been filled with sorrow because of their wickedness, all my days; nevertheless, I know that I shall be lifted up at the last day."
I think we can learn so much from Mormon's example of optimism and diligence. He was a mighty leader at the young age of 24. He didn't allow the calamities of the world around him to influence him to be filled with depression and feelings of hopelessness. He rose above the world and believed that God would provide for him despite the challenges he may face. I pray that we can all learn from his example and be a light to the world while we are experiencing potential hardships. God has given us the key to happiness and eternal life. It is up to us to make the decision to follow His plan and receive the blessings He want's to give us.

No comments:

Post a Comment