Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"a marvelous work is about to come forth..."

What do you do when you desire something? Or, another question to ask yourself is, how do you know that someone is really interested in helping you?

I have pondered these questions recently and feel that I can respond easily. I know that when I really want something I will push as hard as I can until I get it. I try my best to be patient and persistent, and most importantly to trust in God. I have found that often I am blessed by receiving that thing that I most wanted because I put forth a great amount of effort.

I also know that when I am really interested in helping someone I act very differently than when I don't care as much. I will make time in my schedule to do something with them or for them. I will think of them throughout the day. I will talk to others about them and show genuine concern for them. I will attend the events they are involved in. I will help them in whatever way I can.

So, why are these questions important and how do they relate to the Doctrine and Covenants? In Section 4:1, Christ states that "a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men," referring to the Book of Mormon. It is one thing to note that He is excited and informing us of the magnitude of this powerful book, but I want to focus on what He asks us to do with it.

One thing that Christ asks us to do is to serve Him with all of our "heart, might, mind and strength". He also says, "if ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work." This brings me back to the first question. What do you do when you desire something? If we have a desire to serve God, how do we prove that desire? Often I wonder, am I acting with as much vigor to obtain the rewards from the desire I have to serve God as I do in the other things I desire in life? Just a thought.

The next thing that sticks out to me is how often Christ mentions sharing the gospel after talking about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. My second questions relates here because if we really have the same concern for helping Christ as we do in helping others, I believe we would be much more anxiously sharing the gospel with others. I am guilty of this as much as the next person. The Book of Mormon has blessed me tremendously! It brings me a sure understanding of truth. It helps me feel peace when I need the comfort of the Holy Spirit. I find answers to my prayers and the questions of my soul. I learn more of the relationship we can have with our Father in Heaven. I improve my understanding of Jesus Christ's role as my Redeemer and Friend. The list continues...

I know that the Book of Mormon is true because of the way it has blessed me in my life. I want to help God share this blessing with the rest of the world in the same way I'd help a good friend in any task he/she asks me to. I commit to do better to "thrust in my sickle with all my might" and help to build the kingdom of God on the earth. I am just one, but one voice can still be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment